Blogloving

And then everything changed

Samstag, 28. März 2015

Book Review: Endgame - The Calling

Since I first heard of "Endgame" I was determined to read it for four reasons.

First, the cover looks really cool (yes, I do judge a book by its cover).
Second, I'm a big sucker of apocalypse stories.
Third, I find it an interesting concept that Endgame is not only a book series but also a real life treasure hunt (500,000$ if you solve the clues of the first book).
Fourth, it is written by James Frey.


Since I've read James Frey's (partly) memoir "A million little pieces" I've fallen in love with his style of writing. I have written a blog about this book before, where I explain how it may not be everyone's cup of tea but how it made me feel with the main character to my bones. It was horryfying and brutal and it totally blew my mind.

This is why when I first started reading "Endgame - The Calling" I was disappointed by the writing. In "Endgame" there is absolutely none of Frey's literally finess and his unique way to phrase thoughts. This might be because it was co-written by an author named Nils Johnson-Shelton (who might be a children book writer as far as I know). Also "Endgame" is after all a young adult novel and is therefore, like most young-adult books, written in very simple language.

So if the writing can't take my breath away, the story has to take care of this.

And it does.

"Endgame" is set in the near future where several meteors hit Earth announcing the beginning of the apocalypse. 12 prededetermined Players are fighting to win Endgame because of the 12 oldest human people only one will survive and each Player is fighting for his people to survive.

As there are many major characters the book starts a bit slow, spending a lot of time on introducing the characters and explaining the idea of "Endgame". But after about 200 pages "Endgame" turns into one of these books that you can't put down because you keep telling yourself "Just one more chapter" but then the chapter opens up another intersting plot line and you keep reading "Just one more chater" to see how this will turn out and so on and on.

Towards the end of the book I found myself reading faster and faster because I just needed to kow what will happen next but at the same time I didn't want the book to end because it was that good.

Endgame is one of these books that takes you away to a parallel universe and makes you forget each and everyone of your worries. It sucks you up and occupies your mind. This is the exact thing which I love about fantasy literature.

So if you're into apocalytic literature and are also fond of mythology, "Endgame" is for you.

Have you read "Endgame"? Tell me about your thoughts!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen