Blogloving

And then everything changed

Montag, 30. März 2015

Movie Recommendations - Edition: This year's Blockbusters (Part 1): Boyhood, Birdmand and Wild

This year's Academy Awards inspired me to take a break from the Fantasy and Sci Fi movies and Girl Chicks I usually watch and direct my attention to the really big movies of the year: A theory of everything, Boyhood, Birdman, American Sniper, Interstellar, Selma and Wild.

I still have to watch The Theory of Everything, Selma and American Sniper. I have watched Interstellar but this movie is so mind blowing that it deserves an own post which will also include astrophysical background knowledge (coming up soon!). So in this first part of the This year's Blockbusters Edition of my Movie Recommendations I'm gonna talk about the unique movies Boyhood, Birdman and Wild.

Boyhood



The speacial thing about the making of Boyhood is that it was made over 12 years, casting a 6 year old totally ordinary boy as the lead character. Boyhood shows this very boy's childhood and youth. It is simple, concentrating on real life challenges like dealing with his mother's changing partners, following his dream of becoming a photographer regardless of the fact that noone beliefs in him and falling in love for the first time.


Despite its simpleness, Boyhood doesn't feel dull or unspectacular but on the contrary. It is the decicion to portray real troubles of real people that makes this movie so speacial. I felt with the characters so much because I have been there (not so long ago), I know what it feels like to figure out what to do with your life - hell, I'm still there. I've never seen a movie that's such a correct and beautiful representation of life.


Boyhood won't make your heart beat faster but it will make you feel.

Birdman


Where to start with describing Birdman? Birdman is the story of a movie actor who is trying to make it on Broadway. There are several interesting angles to this movie. First, the main character keeps talking to Birdman, his alter ego and role of his life, and you keep wondering if Birdman is a real creature or if the main character is simply going nuts. 


Second, the supporting actors of Birdman are fantastic! Emma Stone as a recovering drug addict is tragically beautiful and Norman Reedus as a narcissistic actor is pure perfection. None of the characters is likable but they are all in their own way excentric. This is what I loved most about this movie.


Also the filming itself is outstanding. The colours, the light, the camera angles - Birdman is filmed in a new and revolutionary way. I have never seen anything like it. This is the new era of motion pictures. Kudos, to the cinematographer on this one.

Wild



I just watched Wild yesterday and Oh All my feels! Wild is the story of a woman who has lost control over her life and who is trying to find back to the person she once wanted to be through walking the Pacific Crest Trail.

If you're looking for a lot of action in a movie, this one is nothing for you. There is a lot of walking, a LOT of walking. But there is also a constant voice off which grasps the different aspects of life beautifully and totally on point.


Renee Zellweger does a great job portraying a woman who has lost everything that always mattered to her. She is such a tragic character but at the same time she is incredibly strong. To see the determination with which she keeps on walking hit me right in the heart. Honestly I cried throughout the whole movie, sometimes I cried because life can be such a bitch and sometimes I cried because oh I know her feelings all too well and sometimes I cied because I was just so happy because of a teeny tiny success story.


I tell you, this movie is pure beauty. Watch it with someone who doesn't mind you crying like a baby. Go through the whole thing, let everything out and then, at the end, observe how you feel better and stronger and more optimistic about life in general. Because through all the pain, Wild is a movie that makes you wanna live. It makes you wanna go out and travel and fight until you're out of breath. And then it will make you go on even farther and even harder. And in the end it will heal you.

Have you seen any of these movies? What did you think of them?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen